This extraordinary visual reference is an introduction to maritime communication through nautical flags, along with morse code, the phonetic alphabet, and semaphore signaling.
Today's system of international maritime signal flags was developed in the 19th century, and is still used for communication between ships, or between ship and shore. Each flag, boldly coloured for visual distinction at sea, stands for a letter as well as a phrase relevant to seafaring. The resulting code is both beautiful and functional, inviting readers to code and decode messages of their own!
- Created for ages 6-8 years
- The first reference guide to signal flags for children
- The perfect gift for code-loving kids
- A unique visual reference to internationally known systems of communication at sea
- With gorgeous screen-print inspired art, depicted in bold PMS colours
- Include 26 nautical flags on specially treated paper
About the author:
Sara Gillingham is an award-winning art director and designer. She was the Design Director for Children's Publishing at Chronicle Books and taught at UC Berkeley and California College of Arts. She created the 'In My' series for Chronicle, and the Empowerment Series for Abrams. She lives with her family in British Columbia, Canada.Vetted by the International Maritime Organisation
- 22.8cm x 27.9cm